I joined the Davis Lab as a postdoctoral researcher in 2014 after I completed my PhD in the University of Kentucky. Here in Oxford I work on investigating how specific RNA molecules behave near synapses during the process of cellular learning. I use a variety of techniques in order to do this, including electrophysiology and various microscopy methods.
Before joining the Davis Lab I completed a PhD in the University of Kentucky under the supervision of Dr. Robin Cooper. This work, completed in 2014, addressed dopamine biology in the context of nervous system development, gene regulation, sensorimotor circuit function and plasticity.
Prior to my PhD I completed an M.Sc. at Marshall University working in the lab of Dr. Brian Antonsen on investigating temporal specifics of neuromodulation in a sensorimotor circuit.
12. Titlow J, Robertson F, Järvelin A, Ish-Horowicz D, Smith C, Gratton E, Davis I. (2020) Syncrip/hnRNP Q is required for activity-induced Msp300/Nesprin-1 expression and new synapse formation. J Cell Biol.
11. Titlow JS, Yang L, Parton RM, Palanca A, Davis I. (2018) Super-Resolution Single Molecule FISH at the Drosophila Neuromuscular Junction. Methods Mol Biol.
10. Yang L, Titlow J, Ennis D, Smith C, Mitchell J, Young FL, Waddell S, Ish-Horowicz D, Davis I. (2017) Single molecule fluorescence in situ hybridisation for quantitating post-transcriptional regulation in Drosophila brains. Methods
9. Pratt M, Titlow S, Davis I., Barker AR, Dawe HR, Raff JW, Roque H. (2016). Drosophila sensory cilia lacking MKS-proteins exhibit striking defects in development but only subtle defects in adults. J Cell Sci doi: 10.1242/jcs.194621
8. Titlow, J.S., Johnson, B.R., and Pulver, S.R. (2015) Light Activated Escape Circuits: A Behavior and Neurophysiology Lab Module using Drosophila Optogenetics. J Undergrad Neurosci Educ 2015 Jul 7;13(3):A166-73.
7. Titlow, J.S., Anderson, H., Cooper, R.L. (2015) Lights and Larvae: Using optogenetics to teach recombinant DNA and neurobiology. The Science Teacher. The Science Teacher 81 (#6): 2-9. Issue Cover (photo)
6. Titlow, J.S., Rice, J., Biecker, S, Holsopple, E, Majeed, Z.R., and Cooper, R.L. (2014) Anatomical and genotype-specific mechanosensory responses in Drosophila melanogaster larvae. Neuroscience Research, pii: S0168-0102(14)00068-6. doi: 10.1016/j.neures.2014.04.003.
5. Titlow, J.S., Rufer, J., King, K., and Cooper, RL. (2013) Pharmacological Analysis of Dopamine Modulation in the Larval Drosophila Heart. Physiological Reports Jul;1(2):e00020. doi: 10.1002/phy2.20.
4. De Castro, C., Titlow, J., Majeed, ZR., and Cooper, RL. (2013) Analysis of various pharmacological salines for heart rate, CNS function, and synaptic transmission at neuromuscular junctions in Drosophila melanogaster larvae. J Comp Physiol A- Jan;200(1):83-92.
3. Titlow, JS, Majeed, ZR, and Cooper, RL. (2013) Neural Circuit Recording from an Intact Cockroach Nervous System, Journal of Visualized Experiments: JoVE, Nov 4;(81):e50584. doi: 10.3791/50584.
2. Majeed, ZR, Titlow, JS, Burns, E, and Cooper, RL. (2013) Proprioception and tension receptors i crab limbs: Student laboratory exercises. Journal of Visualized Experiments: JoVE, Oct 24;(80):e51050. doi: 10.3791/51050.
1. Titlow, JS, Majeed, ZR, Nicholls, J, and Cooper, RL. (2013) Intracellular Recording, Sensory Field Mapping, and Culturing Identified Neurons in the Leech, Hirudo medicinalis. Journal of Visualized Experiments: JoVE, e50631 (2013)10.3791/50631.