I have been working in Ilan Davis and Alfredo Castello Lab since March 2020, where I joined as Marie Skłodowska-Curie postdoctoral researcher. I study the role of the exoribonuclease XRN1, a key component of the 5’-3’ RNA degradation pathway involved in gene expression regulation, in virus infection. I apply a multidisciplinary approach which include a wide-range of molecular biology and biochemistry techniques, as well as sequencing methods and bioinformatic data analysis.
Previously I studied the mechanisms of translational control and mRNA degradation in Drosophila and human cell lines. I completed my PhD at the Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology in Tuebingen, Germany, in the laboratory of Catia Igreja and Elisa Izaurralde.
Tel: 01865 613271
1. Kamel W, Ruscica V, Garcia-Moreno M, Palmalux N, Iselin L, Hannan M, Järvelin A, Noerenberg M, Moore S, Merits A, Davis I, Martinez J, Mohammed S, Castello A. Compositional analysis of Sindbis virus ribonucleoproteins reveals an extensive co-opting of key nuclear RNA-binding proteins. bioRxiv 2021 Oct 08. doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.10.06.463336.
2. Hanet A, Räsch F, Weber R, Ruscica V, Fauser M, Raisch T, Kuzuoğlu-Öztürk, Chang CT, Bhandari D, Igreja C, Wohlbold L. HELZ directly interacts with CCR4-NOT and causes decay of bound mRNAs. Life Sci Alliance. 2019 Sep 30. doi: 10.26508/lsa.201900405.
3. Peter D*, Ruscica V*, Bawankar P*, Weber R, Helms S, Valkov E, Igreja C, and Izaurralde E. Molecular basis for GIGYF-Me31B complex assembly in 4EHP-mediated translational repression. Genes Dev. 2019 Aug 22. doi: 10.1101/gad.329219.119. * equal contribution.
4. Ruscica V, Bawankar P, Peter D, Helms S, Igreja C, and Izaurralde E. Direct role for the Drosophila GIGYF protein in 4EHP-mediated mRNA repression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2019 May 22. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkz429.
5. Restelli M, Magni M, Ruscica V, Pinciroli P, De Cecco L, Buscemi G, Delia D, Zannini L. A novel crosstalk between CCAR2 and AKT pathway in the regulation of cancer cell proliferation. Cell Death Dis. 2016 Nov. doi: 3;7(11):e2453.
6. Magni M, Ruscica V, Restelli M, Fontanella E, Buscemi G, Zannini L. CCAR2/DBC1 required for Chk2-dependent KAP1 phosphorylation and repair of DNA damage. Oncotarget. 2015 Jul. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.4417.
7. Magni M, Ruscica V, Buscemi G, Kim JE, Nachimuthu BT, Fontanella E, Delia D, Zannini L. Chk2 and REGγ-dependent DBC1 regulation in DNA damage induced apoptosis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 Dec. doi: 10.1093/nar/gku1065.