I have been working in the Davis lab since 2014, and I also work extensively with our collaborators in Alfredo Castello's lab. Before coming to Oxford I worked in Lars Steinmetz lab in EMBL where I completed my PhD before going on to work as a postdoctoral researcher. My research combines various biochemistry techniques, sequencing methods and bioinformatic data analysis to investigate the function of RNA-binding proteins.
My key research interest is to understand how RNA-binding proteins regulate gene-expression and how this process contributes to human disease. In my work for the Davis lab my work focusses on how RNA-binding proteins regulate neural stem cell differentiation. In my collaboration with the Castello lab I am working on characterising the roles of RNA-binding proteins in viral infection in human cells. In addition to my lab-based work I also analyse sequencing and proteomics data sets using a variety of bioinformatic analysis techniques.
I completed my PhD at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) in Germany in the lab of Lars Steinmetz, working on developing novel approaches for high-throughput RNA 5’ and 3’ isoform mapping. We have applied these approaches to characterise coding and non-coding transcription in yeast and mammals.
Following my PhD I worked in the Steinmetz lab as a postdoctoral researcher where I worked investigating how RNA isoform variation is regulated during cellular differentiation in mammals, and what are its functional consequences on post-transcriptional RNA regulation.
Tel: 01865 613271
- Truman CT, Järvelin A, Davis I, Castello A. HIV Rev-isited. Open Biol. 2020 Dec;10(12):200320. doi: 10.1098/rsob.200320. Epub 2020 Dec 23. PMID: 33352061; PMCID: PMC7776567.
- Samuels TJ, Järvelin AI, Ish-Horowicz D, Davis I. Imp/IGF2BP levels modulate individual neural stem cell growth and division through myc mRNA stability. Elife. 2020 Jan 14;9:e51529. doi: 10.7554/eLife.51529. PMID: 31934860; PMCID: PMC7025822.
- Titlow J, Robertson F, Järvelin A, Ish-Horowicz D, Smith C, Gratton E, Davis I. Syncrip/hnRNP Q is required for activity-induced Msp300/Nesprin-1 expression and new synapse formation. J Cell Biol. 2020 Mar 2;219(3):e201903135. doi: 10.1083/jcb.201903135. PMID: 32040548; PMCID: PMC7055005.
- Samuels TJ, Arava Y, Järvelin AI, Robertson F, Lee JY, Yang L, Yang CP, Lee T, Ish-Horowicz D, Davis I. Neuronal upregulation of Prospero protein is driven by alternative mRNA polyadenylation and Syncrip-mediated mRNA stabilisation. Biol Open. 2020 May 4;9(5):bio049684. doi: 10.1242/bio.049684. PMID: 32205310; PMCID: PMC7225087.
- Garcia-Moreno M*, Noerenberg M*, Ni S*, Järvelin AI, et al. System-wide Profiling of RNA-Binding Proteins Uncovers Key Regulators of Virus Infection. Mol Cell. PMID: 30799147. * Equal contribution.
- Avolio R, Järvelin AI, Mohammed S, et al. Protein Syndesmos is a novel RNA-binding protein that regulates primary cilia formation. Nucleic Acids Res. PMID: 30260431
- Garcia-Moreno M*, Järvelin AI*, Castello A. Unconventional RNA-binding proteins step into the virus-host battlefront. Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA. PMID: 30091184. * Equal contribution.
- Moore S*, Järvelin AI*, Davis I, Bond GL, Castello A. Expanding horizons: new roles for non-canonical RNA-binding proteins in cancer. Curr Opin Genet Dev. PMID: 29216518
– Castello A, Frese C, Fischer B, Järvelin AI, et al. Identifying the RNA-binding domains of RNA-binding proteins in cultured cells on a system-wide scale with RDBmap. Nat Protoc. PMID: 29095441
– Järvelin AI, Noerenberg M, Davis I, Castello A. The new (dis)order in RNA regulation. Cell Com and Signaling. PMID: 27048167
– Chen Y, Pai AA, Herudek J, Lubas M, Meola N, Järvelin AI, et al. Principles for RNA metabolism and alternative transcription initiation within closely spaced promoters. Nat Genet. PMID: 27455346
– Velten L, Anders S, Pekowska A, Järvelin AI, Huber W, Pelechano V, Steinmetz LM. Single-cell polyadenylation site mapping reveals 3’ isoform choice variability. Mol Syst Biol. PMID: 26040288
– Gupta I, Clauder-Münster S, Klaus B, Järvelin AI, et al. Alternative polyadenylation diversifies post-transcriptional regulation by selective RNA-protein interactions. Mol Syst Biol. PMID: 24569168
– Ntini E, Järvelin AI*, Bornholdt J*, Chen Y*, Boyd M, et al. Polyadenylation site-induced decay of upstream transcripts enforces promoter directionality. Nat Struct Mol Biol. PMID: 23851456. * Equal contribution.
– Wilkening S*, Pelechano V* Järvelin AI*, Tekkedil MM, Anders S, et al. An efficient method for genome-wide polyadenylation site mapping and RNA quantification. Nucleic Acids Res. PMID: 23295673. *Equal contribution.
– Pelechano V, Wilkening S, Järvelin AI, Tekkedil MM, Steinmetz LM.. Genome-wide polyadenylation site mapping. Methods Enzymol. PMID: 22929774
– Mende DR1, Waller AS, Sunagawa S, Järvelin AI, et al. Assessment of metagenomic assembly using simulated next generation sequencing data. PLoS One. PMID: 22384016
– Wei W*, Pelechano V*, Järvelin AI*, Steinmetz LM. Functional consequences of bidirectional ￼￼￼￼￼￼promoters. Trends Genet. PMID: 21601935. * Equal contribution.
For a full list of publications please click here